Thursday 16 November 2017

Essay Film Research

From the initial research for my extended essay I decided to further investigate essay films as a potential topic. I read the following definition in the book Essays on the Essay Film by Nora M. Alter  and Timothy Corrigan (2017);
"characteristics of the essay film include the blending of fact and fiction, the mixing of art- and documentary-film styles, the foregrounding of subjective points of view, a concentration on public life, a tension between acoustic and visual discourses, and a dialogic encounter with audiences."

The particular facets that struck a chord for me with my own film were the foregrounding of subjective points of view and a dialogic encounter with audiences. Though other elements also resonated including; the blending of fact and fiction and a tension between acoustic and visual discourses. I felt that approaching an investigation of my film through the lens of these aspects would help to advance the creative potential of the film.

So for further reading I researched other titles including; How the Essay Film Thinks by Laura Rascaroli; The Essay Film: From Montaigne after Marker by Timothy Corrigan; and journal articles; The Essay as Form by T.W. Adorno; and In Search of the Centaur: The Essay Film by Philip Loparte. Laura Rascaroli also had a number of relevant journal articles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment